[Greenbuilding] voluminous wall cavities - limits to what one

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Sat Jun 22 17:22:47 CDT 2013

On 6/22/2013 5:19 PM, LarenCorie wrote:
>   I have not encountered such a problem.  Use insulation netting
> (if it will be inspected) and fill at the first hole, until you get
> adequate
> pressure.     Then fill at another hole until you get adequate pressure.
> Baffling is not needed. Just fill until the cellulose creates the proper
> back pressure at all the holes.

I have an existence proof that this /can/ be a problem.  See:
http://www.greenfret.com/projects/insul_fix.html

On 6/22/2013 3:20 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> I assume you mean if one did not use any mesh?
Yes.

>     My thought would be to separate by bays instead of between
>     interior and exterior (as that only fixes the problem on one side).
>

> That was my plan, but I guess I didn't explain it very well.
I thought those were the two options you were considering.  I don't
understand your second option then.

>     Other options include, alternating the mesh between interior and
>     exterior,
>
> I'm not following.

Staple mesh to the outer edge of the 2x6, and then to the inner edge of
the 2x4 in the next bay.

>     or offsetting the truss from the load bearing wall (which helps
>     reduce thermal bridging) and then alternating.
>

> Yes, but then I'm not sure how I'd separate the bays adequately.

The mesh would be stapled to each stud (both 2x4 and 2x6) going back and
forth, thus separating each bay in two offset spaces.  Does that make
sense?  I can try to draw picture if not.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap