[Greenbuilding] Hand Crank Washing Machines

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 26 10:34:41 CDT 2013

When I was young we had the next generation which was an open drum with a
motorized agitator and a hand wringer attached to the side similar to this
picture

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2dnDExot3F7WV0S3F7lD2
3xZmcpA-Q6ETYy_uPetGU0VDPOl1Uw

(my mother refused to replace it for the longest time as running clothes
through the wringer was much more gentle on the clothing). Incorporated a
pump/siphon that would discharge soapy wash water to the laundry sink where
it would actually be reused for the next wash.

Hand washing is tiring and time consuming - wringing is rather pleasant. I
think the motorized aspect could be replaced with a wind turbine of some
sort for a hands free operation.