[Greenbuilding] PHPP Flow Rates

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 5 20:42:17 CST 2013

Using the highest air flow by room is biased to larger houses. Canada's F326
ventilation code has a room requirement which for a small house can easily
double or even triple the amount that would be required by JStraube formula
(7.5 per person / .01 per sq. ft.). An extreme example is a small detached
suite I just designed (about 600 ft2) which by F326 (based on room req.)
would require approx 75 cfm. That is close to 1ach and with limited
infiltration (by scale) would require over 60cfm for supply. A reasonable
amount would be 20-25 cfm for that size of space with makeup of about 10
cfm.

ERV/HRV are generally designed for larger spaces in terms of efficiency - I
think the smallest run to min 40 cfm or so - designed for multiunit
applications. Those type of housing units have poor air quality if depending
on infiltration so a good application for health but probably not for energy
efficiency.

Building volume at .3ach is a throwback only as it refers to housesize
(works well up to about

1200 sq.ft).