[Greenbuilding] DC stored power for Laptoops for grid outages

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Mon Mar 18 02:42:16 CDT 2013

I think there are several ways of doing this.

I'm sure I saw a universal 12v laptop charger only  a few days ago. I assume
it has a step-up system to supply the 19v which is more or less the norm
these days..

A colleague used to write a lot of macros for the CAD I use. They were all
written on the (long) train trip to town and he used to carry a 12v
motorbike battery for the power. That was in the days of 12v power and he
only needed to ensure that the laptop had a standard coaxial jack, so he
could cobble his own cable. This approach is just as valid today - you just
need the extra volts. A set of deep cycle wet cells might weigh a ton but
you aren't going to waml around with them and the will deliver more power
than you could dream of with a laptop battery.

I understand a lot of the money in a UPS is to pay for the U. This is
irrelevant when using a laptop except when the battery is utterly dead, or
missing.

While using an inverter to go DC-AC-DC seems dumb, it may be the simplest
way of going about it, if only to expedite the transition from 12v to 19v.
They are getting cheaper every day and I believe the DC input sockets one
sees on laptops imply a pulsed DC supply is kosher.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW