[Greenbuilding] NYC 90% emissions cut with windows

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Tue Mar 19 11:15:52 CDT 2013

I'm a skeptic generally and would, at first
blush, share your view of this report. However,
has anyone read the report? (Not just the article
about it.) I'm not technically fluent enough to
judge the detail accuracy of the report but, at a
glance, it does appear to be in depth, referenced
and footnoted, etc.  And I know the Urban Green
Council folks and do not believe they would greenwash or manipulate data.

Yes, I'd be curious to hear Henry Gifford's
reactions. I strongly doubt he was involved since
the UGC is the NYC USGBC section. But the report is not solely about HVAC.

One also has to keep in mind the non-standard
aspects of NYC buildings. First, that they are
often mid- or high-rise and attached structures,
which creates a very different energy scenario
from the typical US building stock in terms of
exterior exposure. In my apartment in a low-rise
100 year old building, for instance, I have no
significant floor or ceiling heat loss/gain
because there are occupied spaces above and below
me. The exterior walls are three-wythe brick
(albeit without an air gap) but with 1980's
insulation between them and sheetrock (due to a
gut reno of the building). So my primary heat
loss/gain is through my crappy 1980's aluminum
frame (probably not thermally broken) dual-pane
windows where I can feel the drafts, as opposed to walls or roof or basement.

And in more modern buildings, especially office
structures, there is a very high percentage of
glass facade. One of the report's recommendations
is to limit the amount of glass in favor of more
opaque exteriors which can have higher R-values.

The central steam heat still provided in some
parts of the city is a vestige from days when
there were more local power plants and the steam
was a byproduct. That's no longer the case, but
many buildings are still dependent on it, so
ConEd continues to provide fossil-fuel generated
steam even though it doesn't make sense anymore.
(The report mentions the possibility of converting that to biomass.)

Another point they make is that there is a heavy
reliance on window or sleeved air conditioners,
given the aging stock of buildings, which have
high loss factors, hence their recommendation to shift to mini-splits.

I have no doubt that if I was able to replace my
windows and my heating and air conditioning, my
utility bills (which are quite high due to having
a home office where computers and air
conditioners are on during summer days), would
drop significantly. Probably not 90%, but that
isn't taking into account the societal benefits
of switching fuel and energy away from carbon-intense sources.

I'm sure this report is not above critical
evaluation, but I don't think it is as flawed or
unrealistic as some of you are making it out to be.

David
David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT | FIRE & WATER LIGHTING
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
212 475 3106   twitter: @EcoOptimism

author -
<http://ecooptimism.com/?page_id=58>Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
blog - <http://www.ecooptimism.com/>EcoOptimism
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design