[Greenbuilding] Brick Veneer over Thick Foam

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:13:03 CDT 2013

There really is not much need to invent something new.  Brick veneers are routinely installed over cavities of 3-4" in commercial construction, which covers the low end of Eli's range.  All standard masonry connector companies carry product for screwing into studs.
Larger cavities are sometimes used and products are available.  We worked on a performing arts centre in Mississauga that required a 12" cavity for acoustic reasons.  Fifteen years ago we had to scramble to find a tie to do that, but today there are many more products available.

I was in a hurry yesterday so did not have the links
A product called Tim-Tie from Helifix has long been used in the UK for this purpose.  Great thermal performance.
They dont sell it here (we used it on a test project and I became a big fan).
You can use the 6 mm dia version from Blok-Lok called SpiraLok, but that would be more appropriate for the 6" range of insulation than the 3-4"
http://www.blok-lok.com/images/submittals/Spira-Lok.pdf
Also check out my favourite general purpose tie
http://www.blok-lok.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7
It is usually in stock for 3" and 4" cavities (2" insulation is common) but they can stamp it out for 6" cavities.

Hohman & Barnard is another national brand.
Check out their Wing Nut Anchor
http://www.h-b.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186
and variations on the BL-407

John