[Greenbuilding] Passive solar home--concrete overlay re thermal mass

Vadurro, Rob, EMNRD rob.vadurro at state.nm.us
Mon May 13 10:06:58 CDT 2013

I believe the concern is the transfer of heat between different materials. I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a table showing the transferring heat between base and finish materials, say tile to concrete slab below in passive solar conditions and the rate of transfer was much less than one might think. The joint between the two impeded the heat transfer, in other words. I would think an acrylic additive may impede the transfer even more. The best is always to not cover the slab, only color it, if heat retention in the slab is the goal.

Rob Vadurro, AIA
Park Architect
New Mexico State Parks
1220 South Saint Francis Drive