[Greenbuilding] An Euro-shade of Green: Seven Storey Wood-framed Strawbale PassivHaus social housing

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue May 21 09:53:38 CDT 2013

Mon ami André de Bouter en France sent in the following to the Euro SB
list and I thought it might be of interest to y'all.

It's a seven-storey, wood-framed (6" thick cross-laminated timber (CLT)
panels)structure insulated with 4'x8' x 16" pre-fab modular
plywood-encased strawbale panels, designed to meet the PassiveHaus
performance standard so that the predicted costs for HVAC & DHWH should
not exceed 130 Euros/yr for the 900 sf units (see André's notes below).

================ copied material =========================

> The prefab (modular strawbale) panels are made of Agepan DWD16
> rigidified by wood 40X40mm (2x2's) glued and nailed

> Panels:
> 2500X1250X400mm
> 98.4"x49.2x15.7"
>
> Bales
> 490X380X1200mm
> 19.2x14.9x47.2"
> Density (probably dry) 135kg/m3

> Primary wood structure
> KLH-board 150mm (6 inch) cross laminated timber-box

> And a little correction : Acording to Passiv Haus standard (15 kWh/m2)
> this social housing should NOT exceed 130€ per year for heating,cooling,
> ventilation and warm water costs for an appartment of 90m²(about 900ft²).

>   http://www.lamaisonenpaille.com//div/projets%20exemplaires/7-etages/7%20etages.html

============ end of copied material ================

or if the above link gets mangled , the following Tiny URL

        http://tinyurl.com/k8qlkdk

Me ? I'm finding it difficult to like those  CLT panels and the
plywood-encased SB modules but hey!, I would have said the same thing
about the Citroën 2CV "aka "deux chevaux" (two horses) ~40 years ago when
we boys liked 440 cu V-8 powered cars but today, older/wiser I'd jump at
the chance to own a 2CV.   Interestingly enough, the French design for
this building strikes me as being more like that old monster 440 c.i. v-8
than an elegantly simple Deux Chevaux.
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")