[Greenbuilding] simple energy-less home

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu May 23 15:46:01 CDT 2013

good points, Laren.
I've long thought the rate structure that obtains in some countries
(Tunisia is one I know about) inverts what we take for commonplace in the
US: The first ~50 kWh/mo (number varies) are free,and the fixed costs are
rolled into the per-kWh charges, preferably at an increasing block rate.
That way the lowest users aren't penalized in exactly the way Laren laid
out but pay the least (both per kWh and because the fixed charges are not
broken out separately in toto).

Utilities I've discussed this with whine and say under this rate structure
they can't cover their fixed costs (or don't know in advance whether they
will), which is bullshit.