[Greenbuilding] Nyle heat pump water heater update

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu May 23 20:46:14 CDT 2013

We use, on average, 120 litres per day for all purposes, and I'm
guessing maybe a-third of that is heated.   We have a high efficiency
Bosch front loader and typically wash two to three loads per week in
either warm or hot water.  We also have an equally stingy Bosch
dishwasher that might be used one and a half time per week.  And we both
shower daily.  That's about it.

The Nyle is physically connected to a small SuperStor Ultra indirect
water heater (aka boilermate, aka side arm) attached to our oil-fired
boiler, and I suspect some of the heat supplied is being bled-off by way
of this internal coil.  There are no heat traps on either the supply or
feed, and I haven't gotten around to installing an insulating blanket;
in other words, there's the potential to do better.

We stopped burning oil several years ago, but when we did use oil, we
consumed about 1.5 litres per day during the off-season (this with a
high efficiency, low-mass boiler and Tekmar Control system). That
suggests a DHW related demand of about 600 litres per year, taking into
consideration inlet temperatures are quite a bit lower during the winter
and spring, and that we use more hot water during the winter months
because we wash heavier and bulkier clothing, and because there's a
tendency to take longer and hotter showers.  At current fuel oil prices,
we'd be looking at a cash outlay of about $700.00/year; for the Nyle,
our annual operating costs are less than $100.00.

Cheers,
Paul