[Greenbuilding] Nyle heat pump water heater update

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu May 23 21:10:36 CDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Nick Pyner <npyner at tig.com.au> wrote:

> Resistance heater 4.9
> heat exchanger     2.1

Oh, I thought those thingies worked without external input of energy. Must
be Carmine's device that does that.

> I submit you will never know how well anything works unless you compare it
> to the usage.

But I'm less interested in the device all by itself; I'm interested in the
real world performance with all the particulars. If someone manages to get
by on 1/14th of a gallon of propane/day to heat his water in a sidearm
water heater I want to know about it. I care far less that the 8 gallons of
hot water he uses isn't normed. Besides if we know both the water and
energy usage the differences in use rates can be zeroed out.

> An electric resistance heater has such a low installed cost it can be made
> to beat a solar system any time. All one has to do is shower once a week.
> An electric resistance heater is an anethema to me but, right now, I am in
> the process of installing a new one. One of the reasons for this is that I
> could well be dead before a solar system is amortised.

It seems you are ranking these according to first cost or at least a money
scale. I would think a different (energy) scale might be more appropriate.