[Greenbuilding] Nyle heat pump water heater update

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri May 24 00:17:09 CDT 2013

For some reason the Germans have great colloquialisms to describe this kind
of convoluted logic: 'Von hinten durch die Brust ins Auge' - 'from behind
through the chest into the eye' being my favorite.*

And all of this just to heat up some water molecules. The fact that Gallium
Arsenide, Indium, and all the other tasty materials that are incorporated
into those devices are still relatively cheap is not really a fair measure
of their social or total cost, or whether in ten years we will still be
able to afford either the constituent materials or the vast infrastructures
necessary to produce them at any price when the version we buy today wears
out.

I also seem to recall a rather lively and extensive discussion on this very
list about Mr. Holladay's thoughts on PV+electric water heating a year or
so back.

*http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=199570