[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality (was re: simple energy-less home)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat May 25 12:24:19 CDT 2013

On 25 May 2013 10:44:49 -0400, Steve Satow <naturalbuilding at shaw.ca>
wrote:

> Well, given that kWs or Btus or litres or degrees or minutes and just
> about every other form of measurement not associated with a natural
> event (such as the rotation of the earth or circling of the Sun) are
> arbitrary concepts

> I don't see why it isn't just as valid for the majority of the
> population to adopt dollars as a unit of measurement for energy?

Actually, the units of measurement mentioned above are in fact derived
 from observations of "natural events", although "events" may not be the
best noun to be using. "Natural phenomena" may be a better term.

And those units, as measurements, are highly precise, repeatable and
accurate --- verfiable by "natural" phenomena, to yield real consequences.

OTOH, as a simple demonstration of the arbitrariness and inutility of the
dollar as a unit of measurement I would point to the example of the
child's lemonade stand advertising:

           "One dollar for all the lemonade that you can drink"

A cheapskate walking by, thinking that he has found a bargain, stops,
gives the child entrepreneur a dollar who in turn gives the cheapskate a
thimbleful of lemonade and informs him "That's all you can drink.".

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")