[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Tue May 28 19:00:54 CDT 2013

Motivation goes back to language and practically I don't think it matters
what units are used. Language is imprecise and I would hazard that change
requires a degree of imprecision and ambiguity to be effective. As change
takes place the 'units' subsequently carry greater meaning within a
community and are imbued with new significance.

Killowat usage is a poor indicator of environmental health in the same way
that heart rate or weight are poor indicators of general human health. Low
kilowatt usage should not be seen to imply low energy consumption or even a
green lifestyle. We use those units within a context in the same way that I
can have an anecdotal conversation with a neighbour about how much I spent
on electricity. Units just describe what is consumed or produced and rely on
context for understanding.