[Greenbuilding] Sustainable post and beam construction

Ken Beiser woodwrights at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 3 14:08:17 CST 2013

I have been a timber framer for over 20 years and concur that "it is in the
details".  I have done whole homes of salvaged and recycled materials (my
own is one of a few) and also built homes using old growth newly cut timber
from the northwest.  As a conscientious builder, I am not sure anything we
do is sustainable.  That would mean we can keep doing it the same way we
have been doing it, which I have my doubts is possible.

Considering building construction using recycled timbers is a good step
since it is dry and has less potential for shrinkage and we do not have to
cut any live trees to get the materials.  I also think it looks better and
has more interest than newly milled or sawn timber.  I have done less and
less recycled timber projects as the economy faltered and also as the
lumber/log market softened.  I am now getting green or even kiln dried
timber cheaper than I did 15 years ago.

I propose that it also needs to be sourced locally to be even close to being
a sustainable product.  Keeping the timber either wholly on the interior or
exterior of the insulation envelope is also "better" design.  I am willing
to penetrate the insulation envelope as long as the attention to detail at
those areas is carefully considered and executed.

The total embodied energy within any building is probably what needs to be
evaluated to determine true sustainability.  I love timber frame
construction and try to use traditional joinery design whenever possible but
I still have my doubts it is a lot better than other building techniques
when it comes to sustainability.  One thing I have concluded is if it is
done well (good craftsmanship), is a good design (architecture/engineering),
and in a good location, it will be preserved and saved.  A good roof and
foundation will also help longevity.

Ken in Whitefish, MT
Western Woodwrights