[Greenbuilding] Sustainable post and beam construction

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 4 09:25:35 CST 2013

One of the reasons I used to give for making a life of building things is
what you describe so nicely as the intimate connection. And that does hold
true I feel regardless of the tool and the material and technology. That
said part of that history is also one of servitude and selling labour. I've
seen a lot of pb buildings from the 17-1800's in north America that are poor
examples of the skill - representing more a struggle with tools, materials
and time. I've been in attics where wedges and pins have worked loose or
sheared and joints have failed.

I liked Ken's comments and the doubts he expressed. Framing with timbers has
a place and was the only way I could work with local 60yr old timber.
Regardless of whether a connection is achieved through wood or introducing
metal it comes down to the physical properties of the wood and the
time/complexity/ resources involved in achieving the connection.

A timber frame though is not a building - it is just a skeleton and my only
problem with it is that as new builders get involved with it can produce a
certain blind adherence (similar to other building techniques) that can
limit all the other knowledge that needs to go into building sustainably.