[Greenbuilding] Old buildings = better energy performance; why? NYT

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Tue Nov 19 12:17:35 CST 2013

I have little doubt it¹s about expectations (modern times: why should I have
to wear a sweater in Feb) and quality of craftsmanship. Back in the day:
thick walls, mass, heavy loads.  Post-war: process efficiency, quick
turnaround and profitability trump quality and longevity.  For commercial
buildings, newer buildings have more glass and modern electrical and
communications services, allowing more PCs, server farms, routers, printers,
monitors, faxes and technology to run constantly.