[Greenbuilding] Old buildings = better energy performance; why? NYT

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Tue Nov 19 17:36:18 CST 2013

On 11/19/2013 12:16 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> Thoughts?

I often tell clients that age is not a reliable indicator of heating
performance.  I have found very little correlation between age and
leakiness for example.  Some old buildings are very tight, some new ones
are horrifyingly leaky.  Care and diligence in the detailing have a lot
to do with it, and that could have been done at almost any time in the
life of the building.  Many old buildings are well suited to be
improved.  They have thick walls with no insulation (some up to 12"
thick), balloon framing which makes adding insulation easier, and and
generally haven't got any mistakes.  Once upgraded with insulation, air
sealing, interior storm windows, they are far better than any modern
house 'made to code'.

1970s seems to have been the worst time for buildings.  They tend to be
thin walled, badly filled with fiberglass insulation, have vapor barrier
issues, and no upgrade path short of complete retrofit. That is also
when we seem to get things like log-homes, domes, overglazed solar
homes, solar homes facing North (seriously), etc. Newer houses haven't
had as much time to deteriorate, and I think there is a tendency for
people to think that they have a new house, so it ought to be good, so
they don't have to do anything.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn / Topher Belknap

--