[Greenbuilding] doing something about condensation on inside of single pane windows

John Straube john at buildingsciencelabs.com
Thu Nov 21 13:42:59 CST 2013

75%RH inside?  Seriously? I would expect water to be streaming off the windows. Way way too high
With low-e argon PVC frames I would expect condensation at even 50%RH indoors
Find the source of the moisture, throttle it, and then ventilate to get the RH levels down.

Then add storms as suggested.

On 2013-11-21, at 9:53 AM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the situation:
> Basement with 2.5" of styrofoam insulation in floor, 10.5" of cellulose in walls, 8" of fiberglass batts in ceiling. Quite a bit of attention spent on air sealing, door gaskets, etc. So far so good. But this week, as the outside temperature dropped to 30F, a lot of condensation suddenly appeared on the inside surfaces of my single glazed wood windows. The interior temps in the presently unheated space remain in the fifties. Relative humidity inside has stayed pretty constant around 75%.
>
> (1) saran wrap trick on the inside of the windows
> (2) desiccant stations (Dri-Z-Air)
> (3) other?

John Straube
www.JohnStraube.com