[Greenbuilding] doing something about condensation on inside of single pane windows

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 13:55:33 CST 2013

I realize that in phrasing my question I neglected to indicate the dynamic
nature of this problem. In the (near) future, but not this winter, (a) the
space will be heated, and (b) I will have done something about adding
interior storm windows and eventually also exterior. But your suggestions
are all good and appreciated.

The high relative humidity is I think due in part to recent imperfections
in my gas water heater venting regimen which I have now corrected. The
other part is that contrary to many climates ours experiences the highest
humidity levels in the winter. For comparison, in the house, with the
woodstove heating for an hour or two per day, the RH is between 55 and 60%.

I did not have my window maker use insulated glass because I'm sick of them
failing, and I've understood that well sealed storm windows can achieve a
comparable thermal benefit. Upstairs in the house we have the original 120
yr old single pane windows and not very fancy aluminum framed but carefully
caulked storm windows and find it very cozy.