[Greenbuilding] Growing Media Embodied Energy

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 11 20:15:41 CDT 2013

The ESCSI (lightweight aggregate institute put out numbers in 2012). For
manufactured materials like expanded shale or other lightweight aggregates
the number is same for all - 2.16MBtu/ton or 1.34 mbtu/cubic yard. Carbon
dioxide is 350.5 lbs/ton 218lbs/cy.

Sand is about 20,000 Btu per ton and Crushed stone about 30,000 Btu/ton.

Those numbers don't get it to your building site though.

I'm doing another green roof now (extensive type) and I've switched from
varied sedum type mix to just a moss roof (they typically turn into a moss
roof anyway and its a more desirable material in my mind). Soil mix is
simpler and can be limited to local sandy soils or cement sands (different
particle sizes) with some aggregate - limited organics. Less saturated
weight.

For me the main points of a green roof are

-          To substitute a natural bulk material (soils primarily) for a
manufactured sacrificial material (roofing that can withstand the elements

-          To reduce concentrated peak water flows (preventing erosion,
etc.)

-          To potentially improve the quality of the water by isolating it
from typical roof contaminants that it would normally degrade and carry away

Plants are secondary but they can improve water quality (and air) and moss
can be extremely effective for that with a higher probability of not dying.

Water retention (and ultimate weight) is calculated by soil mix and holding
capacity. Weight is a huge issue as it puts tremendous loads on a building
that have to be provided for (can really upsize a building especially in a
seismic area).