[Greenbuilding] Growing Media Embodied Energy

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 13 15:07:28 CDT 2013

Something I'm not following here. Water on a roof fills voids and either
ponds and or hopefully drains. Most any roof built in the last century under
some standard is capable of holding a live load of about 6" of water (or 12"
of dry solid wood).  Not saying its wise to leave those materials sitting on
a roof over time just that that is a general capability.

4-6" of woodchips will be the same density if compressed to 1". If
compressed and decomposed the weight will probably be even slightly less. If
compressed and saturated the weight still will not exceed the weight of
whatever the height of water is plus the wood density. Over time fully
decomposed the woodchips could probably form about 1/8" of a soil material
but more likely a anaerobic biological mat of some sort. Definitely less
weight than gravel or broken brick.

The concept is that this is not a green roof. It is a place to put woodchips
which may be more plentiful and have less embodied energy in an urban
environment than gravel. Call it a beige roof. It would support biological
activity and moss growth and some moss like mold does not die when dry and
can hold and thrive on very little moisture. Moss can filter heavy metals
and acidity in water and probably numerous other benefits.

I love planted green roofs but like any artificial landscape they have to
really well tended. The carefully designed and prepared energy intensive
soils and plantings fail quickly so many continually get 'redone' or become
moss zones. If we look at it simply we want a sacrificial material that has
the fewest deficits (expense, weight, embodied energy, toxicity, etc.) and
the most potential benefits. A material (like woodchips or possibly other
bio or mineral waste) that holds and releases water and supports life while
decomposing is pretty good - and the end product is soil for some future
roof purpose.