[Greenbuilding] linear fluorescent single tube 8ft fixture?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 10:21:58 CDT 2013

Are there product lists, databases, or other searchable tables where I
could find the best (most lumens/watt?) 8' fluorescent lights? I understand
I can go to my local hardware store and pick up (probably cheap) some
fluorescent lights, or even a lighting store and find a wider selection,
but ideally I'd like to discover the most efficient version. How would you
proceed?

My assumption is that a single 8' light (~32W) will give me the most amount
of usable light spread over the largest area. Is that a fair assumption? Do
single tube 8' fixtures exist? The two-tube approach, while more common, to
me seems like a great way to burn up twice the electricity. Thoughts?