[Greenbuilding] linear fluorescent single tube 8ft fixture?

Brown Paul D. paul.compass at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:55:20 CDT 2013

For linear fluorescent, if you want to get the best lumens/watt combination, use ballasts and lamps off of the CEE list (http://library.cee1.org/content/commercial-lighting-qualifying-products-lists). CEE is the only (that I am aware) 3rd party organization that certifies linear fluorescent components.

For 8' T8 lamps, yes they do make them, but they do not make the CEE list. As an FYI, a single lamp 8' T8 draws about 60 watts. An 8' fixture with 2 - 4' standard lamps (which is a standard fixture) is about 55 watts. There are a lot of variables in calculating the wattage of a fluorescent fixture.

There are few businesses leapfrogging T8 right now and going straight to LED from T12's or HID lamps. However, another year of LED price cuts will push them closer to near mainstream.

Paul D. Brown, LEED AP O+M