[Greenbuilding] condensation on storms

Bob klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Thu Oct 24 07:36:36 CDT 2013

Reducing the relative humidity is a standard answer and a necessary
measure, but  when you say that you "caulk all my windows with removable
caulk", do that you mean sealing between the jab and the sash?  That is
suggested  by your mention of removable caulk.

Have you sealed the joints between the trim, casing (and  sill and
apron, if the windows have these) and the wall surface?  I often find
these leaking more than the sash/jamb joints.

If these are double-hung windows, how do you seal the meeting rails
(between the upper and lower sash), another joit where I have found
overlooked leakage.

It's awkward to speculate on limited information but, if you have
condensation on the storm panels, you do have leakage.

An inside storm might help, but if the leaks around the inside face of
the jamb aren't sealed, you would probably still have leakage and
condensation.

I hope this is helpful and doesn't just re-plow old ground.

Bob Klahn