[Greenbuilding] condensation on storms

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Thu Oct 24 08:40:41 CDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 11:39 PM, Benjamin Pratt wrote:
> Although I caulk all my windows with removable caulk every Fall, the
> storms always get quite a bit of condensation on them, especially on
> the top floor in the rooms adjacent to the shower. This condensation
> freezes, and blocks the view and sunlight.
>   I can try leaving them slightly open this winter, but don't know how
> much this will increase heat loss. It may be worth it if this would
> work. We just spent the time washing all the windows, to get as much
> sunlight in the house as possible this winter, and this will be a
> wasted effort of condensation is bad.would be a waste of time because
> of the condensation.
> Any opinions or suggestions?

The thing to remember about condensation is, that when air at a given
dew point (relative humidity) contacts a surface with a temperature less
than that dew point, condensation *will* occur. Cures for this fall into
two categories, lowering the dew point of the air, and increasing the
temperature of the surface.

If one is getting condensation on the exterior storms, then warm moist
air from inside is getting through the window (or surrounding trimwork)
to reach the storm, and that should be one's first priority.  Leaving
the storms open will be close to not having them at all (not recommended).

I generally recommend interior storm windows to supplement that
insulation value of the windows (adding about R-2), and to act as
another air barrier.  You can learn how to make them for yourself from
my website, or I am now producing kits shipped anywhere in North
America.  Those in Maine can attend one of my workshops, and also get
completed windows.  See: http://www.greenfret.com/storms.html

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn / Topher Belknap

--