[Greenbuilding] Power Vent for Solar Air Heater

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 15:57:11 CDT 2013

While I agree that the "almost anything" has an R-value of 0.83, this is true only if the stated R-value includes the standard air film values quoted (which sum to R-0.78).  These films are not part of the the material R-value, but are part of an enclosure value. If we assume 0.83 is a real number then the material is only R-0.06 by the numbers quoted.  I think we can just assume the R-value of poly is zero.

However, R-value includes heat flow due to conduction, convection, and radiation.  The tests, like ASTM C1363, or C518, measure "Apparent Thermal Conductance", then they calculate the R-value (see ASTM C168).  Standard R-value measurements of fiberglass, cellulose, foam etc. include heat flow by the modes of conductance and radiation (about 65/35%) with no flow by convection.