[Greenbuilding] Repurposing Heating-Cooling ducts to Fresh Air only

conservation architect elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Sep 26 14:56:31 CDT 2013

I am working on a master plan for a deep energy retrofit of a fairly large 2
story frame house.  This building was completely renovated in 2007.  At that
time a ducted HVAC system was installed.   In spite of gutting the house and
installing fiberglass insulation in old framing cavities with new wiring and
plumbing, it is still very drafty.  The cracks in exterior siding of walls
and the ceiling are still the source.  We are renovating an attic which is
an opportunity to upgrade the roof plane thermal barrier.  We are planning
to foam wall over old siding and incrementally build a continuous thermal
foam barrier with future projects.  Though quite drafty, are intentions are
to eventually be very tight.  At that time, we will need active fresh air
ventilation.

The HVAC ducts have the typical flaws.  I could feel the cool air  drafting
out of joints  in a hot attic.  Even though this setup is only 6 years old,
I am encouraging the owner to switch to zoned mini split system to avoid all
the duct heat losses.

I am wondering if I could repurpose the old heating and cooling ducts to
fresh air delivery only.  My thought is that the old ducts would be
oversized relative to the fresh air volume needed to be delivered.
Therefore, they could flow at lower pressure and therefore less duct
leakage.  The ducts already connect to all parts of the house.  Perhaps the
registers could be balanced to deliver the right amount of air.  Given that
these ducts already connect to finished grills, that could save over
installing a new system.  If the duct leakage is a problem, we could
potentially run a duct sealing procedure to get to 5% duct leakage.  This
might be less costly than installing a new system.

However, is there a case to be made to install a simpler new system?

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Eli