[Greenbuilding] Code Compliance Floor floating on Foam

conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net
Wed Apr 2 10:15:29 CDT 2014

Thanks for reply on EPS sealants suggestions.

I am having difficulty with a code official that believes unless an assembly
is referenced in the code, it is not allowed.  At issue is my proposal to
float  2 layers of 7/16"osb over EPS foam.  The osb will have staggered
joints and be fastened to each other with screws.  The 09 Virginia Building
Code which is the same as the International Building Code states in 2603.4
Thermal Barrier over foam can be achieved with 1/2"gwb or equivalent per
test protocol.   So I propose to add 1/2 gwb above foam below osb.  Because
he has not seen that assembly before, he is threatening to block it because
I can not find a code that explicitly describes my assembly.  With him
disputing the explicit remedy describe in the code, what are my chances?
$@!#^& Peace, Love

Have other list participants faced similar issues with code officials
regarding the thermal barrier cover over foam.

Otherwise, I am interested in hearing stories of challenges we have
experienced creating innovation in a code limited paradigm.

Eli