[Greenbuilding] Eco-Utopia and Stormwater management

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Mon Apr 7 10:18:17 CDT 2014

Hi, Erin--

A very good question, and as Marian points out, one with many potential answers depending on the site, building design, regulations and so on.

Here in Portland the city is subdivided into lots, which limits your options--all your stormwater must be managed on 5 or 6,000 square feet--so must be integrated into the building itself and/or in the yard spaces. City regulations now require on-site solutions unless not feasible for reasons beyond your control.

In our case, we put an 800 SF ecoroof on the sloped roof over a one-story part of our house. It is readily accessible from a terrace on the second floor, without having to get up on a ladder. After seven years, it's been pretty easy, I am feeding it this spring for the first time. The soil has settled but seems to be staying in place on the slope. The roof is very pretty when all the sedums bloom.

The eave gutters drain into two dry wells, so that water helps replenish groundwater.

We thought about burying a large cistern to store rainwater, but it would have added substantial cost to the house foundations--there was no yard space on a 5000 SF lot where a tank would not have affected the foundations. Rain barrels would fit, but they don't hold enough water to make much of a difference.

Sometimes it is possible to create a bioswale on the surface, depending on area available and soil conditions. There are native plants that like to grow in seasonal marshes which thrive in bioswales.

Best,

Mike

Mike O'Brien Photography
mikeoregon.zenfolio.com