[Greenbuilding] CMHC's "Canadian Wood Frame House Construction"

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Apr 16 07:28:17 CDT 2014

Re the CMHC booklet:

RT-thanks for posting the link. there does seem to be a lack of consistency
in the details, however. For example, detail 42 shows some sort of
exo-insulation, which could be presumed to be foam (foam is specifically
called out for wrapping window openings in other details), whereas in
detail 45 poly sheeting is shown as a combined vapor and air barrier. If
both these strategies were employed in the same wall, there is the
possibility of trapping enough water vapor in the cavity to create
problems. Maybe all this is differentiated in the text somewhere; I did not
read it carefully--but it still makes me wonder if someone was in a rush to
reissue it, without a thorough updating...

AA

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBD certified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com