[Greenbuilding] Glass roofing (was Re: Toxic Materials in Roof Runoff)

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 13 09:39:56 CDT 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 22:00:51 -0400, candtcampbell at juno.com
<candtcampbell at juno.com> wrote:

> Does glass roofing actually exist? If so, who makes/sells it?

"Famous" glass roofs that come to mind:

1. Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, Milan, Italy:  It's been around since
the mid 1800's and its imitations can be seen over shopping malls in
almost every city in North America.

2. Grand Palais, Paris, France: It was built for the 1900 World's Fair,
replacing London's Crystal Palace as the world's largest
ironwork/glass-roofed structure. In the late 1930's it found an adaptive
reuse as the Palais de la Découverte, a science museum.

etc. You get the idea. Glass roofs have been around for a long time. Any
glass supplier in any town can provide the glass and will likely carry the
sloped glazing components of at least one or more manufacturers for those
who opt to go the "store bought" route.

Green builders will know that the best option is to re-use tempered glass
which has been diverted from the waste stream and will often design their
own glazing components from readily-available stock materials.

The biggest challenge for novices will likely be configuring the joints so
that the assembly does not leak. Even many "experienced" architects seem
to struggle with this.
Back in the 1990's, Fred Unger, a frequent contributor to this List at
that time, wrote an excellent article for Fine Homebuilding magazine on
the subject of flat glass residential sloped glazing and how to do it so
that the assembly doesn't leak. It's probably on the web now for all I
know.

One of the bonuses of glass as a roofing material is that it can
multi-task.
For parts of the roof that are facing the equator, it would make sense to
take advantage of glass's excellent solar transmission properties to
provide clean energy to the building beneath it -- PV arrays, DWHW
heating, direct gain over-roofs & wintergardens ... to name a few examples.

For those who want to go the store-bought route and like the look of
traditional roofing tiles, SolTech system may be of interest:

http://soltechenergy.com/soltech-system/

I'm pretty sure that I saw a comment in this morning's GB List email (from
Reuben ?) about not throwing stones to which I say "Pwah!". Tempered glass
is pretty much invulnerable to stones or in my case, large boulders. I've
had not-yet-installed tempered glass panels picked up by the wind and
tossed well over ten feet to land on some large landscaping boulders
without breaking.

But in the same breath I should mention that I've also seen large tempered
glass windows spontaneously implode/explode due to some schmoe who
installed the glass with improper edge clearances and thermal expansion
resulted in the Achilles heel of tempered glass (the edges where stresses
 from the tempering process are concentrated) bearing on the shank of a
fastener.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom  .  .  . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")