[Greenbuilding] The Coolest Buildings Aren't Green

conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net
Mon Dec 1 09:22:33 CST 2014

Very good points with regards to location.  Another part of that is the lifestyle of the occupants.  If you are in a rural location, work at home and produce most your own food, that green field location can indeed be green.  Also, that reduced density reduces the problems of runoff, allows natural vegetation cooling and allows the diverse natural ecology to manage the adjacent forest from which we can harvest meat and forage food from.   However, the same location where you are commuting, not so much.  Reciprocally, if you are in an urban location such a Brooklyn, you are in a setting that has no natural ecology.  Therefore, all products need to be brought to you.  Stability must be maintained by human managed systems such as sewers, utility water, storm drains (very rapid runoff), roads, police, et.  There is also the heat island affect of concrete without vegetation.  These footprints have to enter to equation.

I live in the country and work at home in my pretty efficient retrofitted thermal envelope and grow most of my food.  However, my wife is not as content to stay at home and is volunteers with benevolences in town.  I am the husband, not the dictator.  Therefore, fair enough,we loose points on our location score.

Another part of the location score relates to extended family that you choose to maintain periodic in the flesh reunions with.  If they are far away, the travel footprint is significantly increased.

I think the sweet spot is small towns with high density multifamily units (low ratio of thermal envelope area/occupant) facing green spaces that allow good day lighting, solar energy production, natural ecology, separation from vehicles, with home gardens, limited shopping, cultural events, schools and employment within walking distance with professional farmers just outside of town managing the ecologically grown food with human waste recycling. Extended family lives with the region.  This has the potential of giving us a greenhouse gas neutral sustainable niche in the ecology.

It would be even better if these settlements evolve from existing communities that upgrade and replace existing buildings.

Eli