[Greenbuilding] The Coolest Buildings Aren't Green

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Mon Dec 1 13:05:09 CST 2014

Give up flying!

I used to fly a lot.  People were always wanting me to come and talk
about the Oklahoma Food Cooperative, which was the first food coop in
the US to only sell locally grown and made food and non-food items, and
how they could replicate our success.   But I found myself questioning
my assumptions.  Why did I think I was so important that it was worth
the damage that flying causes to the biosphere for me to go somewhere
and talk about the importance of growing a local food system?  So I just
decided to quit flying.  I am not saying that I will never ever fly
again, but it has been several years since my last flight, and i have
nothing on the horizon.  If I can't get there by car, bus, or train, I'm
not going.  Of all the sustainability-oriented developments in my life,
giving up flying has been the easiest -- once I got over my sense of
personal importance and entitlement.

As for rural versus urban, I think that in terms of per capita resource
use, cities win the prize.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/greenest_place_in_the_us_its_not_where_you_think/2203/

Bob Waldrop
Oklahoma City