[Greenbuilding] Not Flying // was: The Coolest Buildings Aren't Green

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 12:36:23 CST 2014

Nice one, Rob. Anyone interested should check out my friend Pat Manley's
"Masons on a Mission":
http://masonsonamission.org/

A $150 donation is enough to buy all the local materials to build a
cookstove for a family plus hire a local mason.
None of the money goes to overhead. It gets the smoke out of the house, and
is a tremendous improvement in the lives of Mayan villagers, particularly
the women and children who otherwise breathe heavily polluted indoor air
from the traditional way of cooking.

I'm with you on spending winter in front of a fire at home. Airplanes get
roughly the same fuel mileage per passenger as 1 person driving a Prius.
However, the water vapor emitted into the stratosphere causes a greenhouse
gas multiplier of 2.3 on the carbon. Therefore, roughly the same greenhouse
effect as driving a Hummer. Put 4 people in the Hummer and you are
positively green, compared to the plane................N

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Road, RR 5
Shawville Québec J0X 2Y0