[Greenbuilding] Visible Flames (Fireplaces) in Tight Houses

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Tue Dec 2 13:17:34 CST 2014

in a recent project for other pyrophilic clients, (and despite all my hand
wringing to them) I spec'd a wood stove by Napoleon:
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/products/nz26-zero-clearance-and-masonry-fireplace/

even with that gratuitous feature (and a conventional clothes drier) the
house came in below 0.6 ACH at 50 PA. One nice feature is that the stove has
provision to route air heated within its jacket to remote locations, so the
occupants don't collapse from heat prostration while it's in use. In the
subject case, hot air was ducted to a point adjacent to the heat pump
return (direct connect is prohibited by the mnfr)

one thing to bear in mind is that the length of the flue, even with a roof
top damper, represents an ambient or near ambient condition. applying
insulation directly against the flue is prohibited, so an insulated chase
was provided instead.

-AA

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>