[Greenbuilding] Water heater blankets?!

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 13:09:36 CST 2014

...having called every plumbing supply place I know of I keep striking out.
I get every conceivable answer as to why they don't stock/can't sell me a
water heater blanket. What is up with this?

My reason for wanting one is that if you spec a 120V 20 gal electric tank
they only come with 1" of insulation, and even if they had employed NASA's
super duper high-R-value foam which I am quite certain they did not, since
bumping down from the 2" of foam they spec on the equivalent 240V models is
surely a cost saving measure pure and simply, I would very much like to
improve the heat retention capabilities of this little fellow.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone sell fiberglass batts encased in a sleeve that could be made to
suit this purpose? The water heater is only 25" tall and 60" in
circumference.

Thanks very much.