[Greenbuilding] Visible Flames (Fireplaces) in Tight Houses

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Wed Dec 3 13:59:45 CST 2014

Clarke and Eli,

I need to say that I'm extremely alarmed by the idea of filling that 2"
space with vermiculite, Roxul, or Fiberglass insulation. Especially with
in a chase. The rise in temperature of the steel components of the
chimney, due to the insulation surrounding them,  would exceed safe
levels. The chimney could fail.

I also would like to add a note that, although acceptable by code,
planning an insulated chimney with off-sets, (45 or 90 degree) is also
not a good idea. Off sets are an area that create 'eddy currents' within
the chimney, and thus create cooler and hotter areas within the chimney
liner. These eddy currents can also create landings for creosote
deposits. This causes wear and tear on the steel components, and that is
not desirable.

Off sets need additional structural support, to prevent the lower
portion of the chimney from bearing the weight and load of the upper
portion of the chimney. I have seen a situation where these components
were not structurally supported. The weight of the upper portion of the
chimney levered the 45 degree parts to open up, and allow a fire to start.

Off sets with in a chase also need to be surrounded by a tightly
constructed heat shield. This is difficult to do well, and if it can't
be done well, it needn't be done at all. Careful planning and design, so
thata straight chimney can be installed is not mandatory; but it is the
only acceptable idea to consider. What could possibly trump fire safety?
Certainly not aesthetics, and certainly not budget.

Sorry for my Rant, Rant, Rant. I've witnessed too many house fires, of
friends and neighbours, to be complacent.
I'm apologetic for my rant, but firm about fire safety,

--
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design