[Greenbuilding] Water heater blankets?!

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:50:29 CST 2014

Interesting. We have the bubble wrap here (as a roll not a kit as far as I
know). I hadn't thought of using that. Maybe several layers worth.
Once upon a time one could purchase here in the USA what I recall was a
simple fiberglass batt, not very thick, encased in some kind of plastic
sleeve that already had the proper dimensions, more or less, of the water
heater. I'm pretty sure they came in different sizes.

As for Topher's suggestion to us a can of spray foam, I'm always surprised
how little is in those cans. The throwaway, hold-in-your-hand ones are a
joke. And the ones that cost about $18 and that you screw onto your gun
hold a lot more, but still I don't think nearly enough to accomplish this
task, even for a stubby water heater, but perhaps I'm wrong. I wonder how
you would produce a more or less evenly thick slab of
foam-inside-the-dry-cleaning-bag? Seems like a job for the Hindu Goddess
Kali:
[image:
http://www.bobkrist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/586px-MotherdurgaCrop.jpg]