[Greenbuilding] LCA tool (was Re: embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 9 19:29:02 CST 2014

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 18:52:01 -0500, Norbert Senf <norbert.senf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Better to compare total lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions of ahouse
> using a specific wall (or roof) assembly, which includes the
> EE

Aye laddie, ah ahg-r-r-rree 101.5%.

And an excellent tool for doing that is available from the gewd folks at
the Athena Institute

http://www.athenasmi.org/

copied from its website:

	"The Athena Impact Estimator for Buildings
          is an LCA-based software package that helps
          designers easily incorporate environmental
          information while in the early stages of a project."

These are the same folks who developed the most excellent "OPTIMIZE" LCA
program back in the previous millennium, which was described in detail on
this list back then so I won't repeat myself now. Back then, they used to
be based just outside of Ottawa on a back road near Alexandria. I thought
that was pretty kewl.

But speaking of styrofoam houses...

One of my neighbours just bought a property on Deer Island in New
Brunswick (straddling the border with the State of Maine)and he was
telling me about a huge styrofoam house that an Murrican had started
building on a waterfront property on Campobello Is or in the Annapolis
Basin just across the Bay of Fundy from Deer Is. (I forget which, it was
over a month ago that he was telling me about it)

Seems the locals hated that house so much that trashed the thing
repeatedly and the owner ended up abandoning it-- walked away and never
came back. Moral of the story ? Beats me.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at   Y a h o o  dot  C a >
(winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply)

---