[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof

conservation architect elitalking at rockbridge.net
Wed Dec 10 09:25:42 CST 2014

This source from Ergo’s link seems pretty authoritative.  I was disappointed not the see eps on the list.  It does have xps which I expect to be much higher carbon footprint than eps because of the price.  Still looking for this comparison. I am surprised that fiberglass is so high.  I am not surprised that cellulose is so low.  They compared these based on R20 square foot.  This is fair for conduction performance.  However, fiberglass and cellulose are not air barriers.  Therefore, the improved energy performance from this characteristic of the foam products is not recognized in this evaluation.

I was impressed by fire video of plaster eps room.  The plaster installation surely was the major factor in that result. It was still in place after the fire.

I can see the potential for eps plaster panels that could lend itself to reconfiguration and long life.  This is the Lego model.

Eli