[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof

Rob Dickinson robd at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 13:52:37 CST 2014

Dense pack cellulose is definitely a significant means of achieving better
air tightness, but not technically an air barrier.

On our deep energy retrofit of a 1900 farmhouse, we cut our air leakage in
half when we installed the dense pack cellulose in our double-stud wall
cavities, extended roof rafter cavities, and floor joist cavities.   Air
leakage went from ~4 ACH50 to 2, which we then dropped down to around 1.2
before we were done.

Rob