[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof (ErgoDesk)

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Thu Dec 11 11:36:56 CST 2014

Hi, guys--

It's good that we examine the health and environmental costs and benefits of our materials. The danger is that we may become personally tied to our particular choices such that we advocate for them by criticizing and belittling others who make different choices. That person becomes a bully who attempts to force his views through ad hominem arguments.

For me, polystyrene as a building material cannot be separated from polystyrene for consumer products like coffee cups. Polystyrene is one of the world's worst pollutants. Saying that our wall insulation EPS is not what's fouling the oceans, is avoiding looking at all the problems associated with polystyrene in general. Our use of it as a material supports the primary manufacturers, who will not be responsible for their impact on health and environment.

If you haven't yet read Alex Wilson's evaluation of polystyrene in EBN, it's online at buildinggreen.com as "Avoid Polystyrene Insulation."

Best, Mike O'Brien
Sent from my iPhone