[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof (ErgoDesk)

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 11 22:38:04 CST 2014

Actually it is something to be considered.

The EPS product I use is manufactured from polystyrene beads which combine
styrene (0.1% by weight of finished product) and pentane (1% by weight of
finished product). These beads representing 1.1% of the final product are
manufactured in Alberta (about 1000 km from me). They are shipped to
Vancouver (about 130 km from me) where they are manufactured into board
stock using steam (local water and heat) and packaged into roughly 96 cu.ft.
polyethylene wrapped bundles (88 sq.ft. of 2ml poly).

Each bundle weighs about 67 lbs with .067 lbs (about 1 ounce) of styrene
monomer and would insulate 64 sq. ft. of wall to roughly R40.  20 bundles
could do the walls of a 1600 sq.ft. house – about 20 oz of styrene
(equivalent to 10 milk jugs when they were made of styrene)

So basically I had about 6.7 lbs of polystyrene beads shipped 1000km then
converted into 67 lbs of finished insulation wrapped in 88 sq.ft of poly (
and shipped 130km where it gets put into buildings and hopefully
subsequently taken out in board form and put into other buildings or
whatever things get recycled into in the future – probably milk jugs).

I’m not sure I can do better than that at this point with less impact for a
local solution that works well in my climate –

Straw would have to be shipped an equivalent distance (we have no local
wheat) – ironically it would take about 20 bales (about 900 lbs) to insulate
an equivalent area which takes about a ½ acre of farmland to grow and about
.1 lb (1.6oz) of petroleum derived fertilizer to generate the growth.  Straw
does not work in my climate.

For cellulose the equivalent wall area or insulated area would be about 200
lbs of shredded newspaper – so I could collect and shred papers locally but
I would still have to ship in 60 lbs or so of borates to make up that amount
at at least 4  times the distance. Also we are getting more information that
borates might not be as safe as we thought – not a well investigated
material. Also I have spent a lot of time politically working on having
newspaper recycled as pulp mills are a huge environmental liability in my
region as is deforestation.

For rockwool for walls the equivalent wall area would be about 162 lb and I
would have to ship that about 3000 km (so double the weight and 3 times the
distance – and 4 times the packaging). If I wanted to use a rockwool as a
board material comparable to the eps for slabs the equivalent area weight
would be about 800lbs (additional weight being formaldehyde binder for
density).

So it is a complex decision making process. All design decisions are.  Is
1oz of styrene as dangerous as 60 lbs of borate salt, chlorine pollution and
tree loss, or potentially 600 lbs of formaldehyde glue,  or even the soil
loss and petro fertilizer usage from something as green as strawbales. I
don’t know and getting information to know a little more is a continuous
process -  but am certainly not at this point going to accept simple
arguments for simple materials having discovered long ago there is no such
thing as a simple material. Some of the most ‘natural’ materials out there
are still the most toxic and/or inappropriate.

\