[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof (ErgoDesk)

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:23:05 CST 2014

That's a good point, Alan. I saw my first engineered SIPS (structural
insulated panel) house about 20 years ago in Vermont. We were installing a
masonry heater into it. It was basically a timber frame house, but without
the timber frame. It turns out that the SIPS panels used to close in a
timber frame house are all you need as a structure. Particularly impressive
was the roof, which was installed in a few hours with a crane - the T&G
pine panelling on the ceiling and outside soffits was already on. I've been
a big fan of SIPS myself over the years, experimenting with various
homebrew versions and ending up with 1/8" of home-made thinset plaster +
glass mesh as the exterior tension skin and finish. The strength to weight
ratio, and the rigidity you get from a lightweight box beam are awesome. If
you wanted something you could helicopter in, Buckminster Fuller style,
this would be the way to go.............Norbert

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Alan Abrams <alan at abramsdesignbuild.com>
wrote:

> not to muddy these already murky waters, but there are at least two other
> factors that come into play.
>
> One is the method of installation. Consider exterior sidewall insulation:
> A 4' x 8' panel of foam is a versatile, modular size, which can be handled
> by a carpenter on the inevitable make-shift scaffold, with relative safety.
> It can cover at least 32 SF and be temporarily secured with two nails, for
> example, while furring strips are prepared. It would take four pieces of
> Roxul to cover the same area, and more fidgeting where substrates are not
> modular. It would require more fasteners--each nail or screw with its own
> EE, and each a thermal bridge. Exterior cellulose insulation (like some
> Passive House approaches) requires an entire framing system to support it.
>
> Another factor is permeability. This sword cuts the other way, because an
> assembly that must dry in both directions (for whatever climate related
> reason) favors both mineral fiber and cellulose. I'm not convinced that EPS
> has sufficient permeability to ignore its use on what ought to be a
> bi-directional breathing wall. Its use could therefore necessitate
> mechanical dehumidification in a moderate climate that wouldn't otherwise
> need AC.
>
> In the case of insulating an existing slab--which John Salmen has
> discussed at length in the past--EPS is a winner on both accounts: not only
> can it be fastened without screws or nails, but it is also where you would
> want a vapor barrier.
>
> In summary, it is not enough to consider these materials in the
> abstract--they also must be evaluated in their context.
>
> AA
>
> Alan Abrams
>
> *certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
> consultant, PHIUS*
> *certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
> cell     202-437-8583
> alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
> HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
> <http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 8:18 AM, John Straube <jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think the supply chain issue Alan and John are discussing is very valid
>> and does indeed show how complex it is to make the “best” decision
>> But John, you have some facts wildly wrong. That about 1 pound of EPS can
>> do 1 sq ft to R40 is correct although most people us Canadian Type 2, which
>> is a higher density and R4 per inch. A rounding error.
>>
>> But that high density stone wool is made by adding glue is not true. A 2
>> pound per cubic foot batt is definitely 95% or more stone, and the higher
>> density products like 4 pcf wall insulation or 8 pcf roof insulation have
>> MUCH more stone and may have a lower % of glue.  You could go to  factory
>> and watch the stream of fibers on the conveyor belt being squished to
>> different densities. The primary difference IS the amount of fibers in the
> [...]

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Road, RR 5
Shawville Québec J0X 2Y0