[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof (ErgoDesk)

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 12 11:42:18 CST 2014

I like option 1 if you are expecting the block to dry to the exterior - but not the treated 2x against cement block and metal Z not great thermal breaks – I’ve been using recycled hdpe lumber as a substitute for treated location requirements – high cost depending on what is available locally but I use cosmetic rejects from a local decking manuf. at a reasonable cost. Great sill material and generally an engineered material so can be certified for load bearing or fastener holding if need be.

I like the subtraction concept – hopefully see more of that being done in future reno work. I would guess new trusses as being the least material / lowest cost / highest benefit / integrity. Moisture conditions in the attic would be a concern – from experience I can say that venting with wet winter air is not effective. Cellulose fill is moisture tolerant but that is not the same as moisture cycling.