[Greenbuilding] state of the art stove/bathroom exhaust fans?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 20:57:26 CST 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Alan Abrams <alan at abramsdesignbuild.com>
wrote:

> more generally, what about the role of any exhaust system?
>

> how does depressurization affect other conditions and systems?
>

> is there an ERV, and if so, is it balanced to admit compensatory make-up
> air? are there any combustion systems, or fireplaces with imperfect flue
> dampers?

No ERV, but one wood stove that burns for an average of 2~ hrs/day & draws
combustion air from inside the living space.

> is it possible to reduce the number of exhaust openings, by collecting air
> from individual spaces with a central fan?

That is very tempting. Kitchen and bathroom in this (my first) situation
are adjacent, but my introduction to at least the recommended Panasonic
unit suggests that the business end is meant to be flush mounted rather
than placed upstream of multiple branch lines.

> What about the routing of the exhaust line; given it will tend to be at
> ambient conditions, how is the line insulated, and how well does the damper
> work?

Suggestions most welcome.

?

> these factors may have as much as--or more significance than--the fan unit
> itself.

These are some of the reasons I've so far steered clear of this. A
comprehensive, well-thought-out solution seems very worthwhile but at this
point still eludes me.