[Greenbuilding] protecting outdoor wooden structure from future decay (or at least delaying it)

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 12:38:11 CST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:47 AM, John Salmen <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I'm still convinced the best treatment for exterior wood is no treatment -
> considering that untreated wood degrades from atmosphere at most about 1/4 "
> per century - and the natural grey is nice.

That has been my approach to date. But I ask because upon closer inspection
I'm finding parts of porches built by me (15-25 years ago) out of Douglas
fir which evidence some (serious) rot in places. Not bugs, just
disintegration initiated by moisture trapped in cracks. I'm not concerned
with surfaces that are exposed to sunlight, but the darker places.

> Next on the list is treatments that oxidize the surface uniformly and
> 'naturally'. Off the shelf products include Lifetime Wood Treatment.

I'll look into this. Thanks.

> Make sure there is a good air path to all surfaces

I find that this doesn't work in all situations, desirable and sensible
though it sounds.

and good separation from soil (use gravel where possible as a base)

Yes. Done.