[Greenbuilding] protecting outdoor wooden structure from future decay (or at least delaying it)

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 20:18:50 CST 2014

I'm not worried about the cedar, mainly because it is easily removed and
replaced should the high ratio of sapwood (you nailed it RT) prove
problematic. What I am less keen on having to replace are the various
elements of this timber frame structure which, not being attached with deck
screws but with mortises & tenons, are not going to be individually
replaceable with any ease.

A roof I've considered. Part of this will get a roof in any case, the rest
not sure. But given the exposure: top of hill facing west; regular winter
storms, relatively tall narrow structure, the roof is not going to do much
for the lower timbers of this structure, unless I enclose it completely
like some covered bridges.