[Greenbuilding] protecting outdoor wooden structure from future decay (or at least delaying it)

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 20 12:45:59 CST 2014

I agree - time for a rewrite on rot resistance for wood species. Most of it
was based on virgin growth heartwood and that is not around. Most of what is
available off the shelf now will rot regardless of species.  I also think we
need to rethink details. A drip cap at the base of vertical wood siding will
ironically direct more water to the end grain than if there was no drip
base. Problem is we want to see traditional details and some horizontal
lines.....